How to Personalize your Engagement Session // Tips for Clients
I often get asked many questions when it comes to planning your engagement photos and so I wanted to give you some ideas for how to truly make it your own and personalize those photos! I feel that Pinterest has actually made it harder for brides to plan their engagement as they feel it needs to be “pin worthy”. But instead of trying to create the perfect or most beautiful engagement session that deserves to be on Pinterest or published in a magazine, I want to encourage you to instead make it personal.
Choose a location that has a special meaning to you. Maybe you met there, he proposed there or you simply go on walks there all the time. Maybe you love the beach or the city or the woods and that is something you do together. Decide on a location because it fits you as a couple. What do you like to do together? What is one or two things that are truly characteristic of your relationship? What kind of props or locations convey those things?
Bring props that represent things in your relationship. Do you ride bikes all the time? Are you avid Harry Potter fans? Maybe he proposed with a ring pop (my husband did!). Or your dog is your first “child”. Don’t decide to do something because you saw someone climbed a mountain once in a red flowy dress and it looked pretty. I mean, if you always climb mountains together then maybe that is the perfect thing for you though!
And so here is a list of things to walk through to help guide you in creating a personalized engagement session:
- Location: Choose a location that is significant to you or suits you as a couple.
- Props: Ask yourself what a few of your favorite things are separately and together as a couple and how could you incorporate those into your shoot?
- Mood: Communicate to your photographer the mood you want represented in your session. Are you a adventurous couple or more of a calm relaxed couple? Do you laugh all the time or are more serious?
- Pinterest: Brainstorm before you go on Pinterest, otherwise you’ll feel overwhelmed.
- And don’t forget to simply be yourself and have fun!